The 50th Superbowl is on Sunday, and whether you are cheering for the Denver Broncos or the Carolina Panthers, chances are you will have a lot of food for your family and friends. But, the food you prepare doesn’t have to be unhealthy. Try the healthy alternative recipes below for your festivity snacks!
Typical Superbowl Food: Deep fried chicken wings
Alternative recipe: Lemon drop chicken wings
This tasty recipe will allow you to have your craved chicken wings during the Superbowl, but they are baked- not fried.
- 1/2 cup vodka
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 pounds chicken wings, tips trimmed off
- In a large bowl or resealable plastic bag, combine vodka, lemon juice, sugar, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Stir to dissolve sugar and salt. Add the chicken wings and mix to coat. Cover bowl or seal bag and refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line a 9- by 13-in. baking pan with two layers of foil. Arrange the chicken wings in a single layer in the pan, and pour the marinade evenly over all. Bake until meat is well browned and pulling away from the bone, about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Serve hot or warm.
Typical Superbowl Food: Nachos
Alternative Recipe: Mini Taco Tortilla Cups
Nachos are a crowd favorite on Superbowl Sunday, but the portion control goes out the window! These healthy taco tortilla cups give you your daily dose of vegetables, while helping you with portion control.
- 5 10 in tortilla’s quartered
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 2 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- ½ cup corn
- ½ cup black beans
- ¼ cup diced yellow pepper
- ¼ cup diced orange pepper
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado diced
- ¼ cup ranch dressing
- Preheat oven to 375. Spray a 12 cup muffin tin with cooking spray. Cut each tortilla quarter in half. Line each muffin tin with three tortilla triangles, overlapping as necessary. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden. Let cool in pan for 2 minutes before removing to a rack to cool.
- In a small bowl, combine cream cheese, taco seasoning and Greek yogurt.
- In a separate bowl, combine vegetables. Place a tablespoon of cream cheese mixture in the center of each cup. Top with vegetables and drizzle with ranch dressing.
Traditional Superbowl food: 7-layer dip
Alternative Recipe: A healthy 7-layer dip
Dairy and refried beans keep traditional seven-layer dip heavy on fat. For a fresh take on a favorite, this lightened-up dip recipe still curbs cravings but with much less fat and far more fiber
- 2 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 2 avocados, mashed well
- 1 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
- 2/3 cup black beans
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Sliced black olives and scallions, to garnish
- Spread chopped romaine lettuce at the bottom of a large bowl.
- Add avocado layer on top, and smooth out with a spoon to even height.
- Spoon Greek yogurt layer, and smooth if necessary.
- Layer black beans, then diced tomatoes on top.
- Sprinkle cheese, and add olives and scallions.